Thursday 15 March 2007

Politicians make use of Second Life

I recently read an article about Hillary Clinton starting a virtual presidential campaign headquarter in Second Life. She is not the only politician who attempts to reach audiences by the use of new technology.
In my opinion, this is a especially clever way to reach audiences who are difficult to get hold of in the real world. The demographics in Second Life differ from those in the real world; the population is to a great extent younger in the virtual world.
I wonder if younger people are more likely to respond to political messages in Second Life than they would do in the real world.

4 comments:

Anu said...

Second Life in her Virtual World :) lets see how this turns out for her. This is the best part of being in this time period, we can get to evaluate the upcoming media and its effectiveness.
Do you have any particular link which I can get information about this Second life idea?
Cheers!

Viktoriya T. said...

I agree that it is a clever idea for her to use Second Life as a means to reach an audience that may not necessarily be interested in politics. I just hope it doesn't backfire on her if avid Second Life-ers see her as an invading outsider.

katerinatzivara said...

It is really clever to use 2nd Life as a way of promotion. My poor knowledge about 2nd Life makes me be really sceptical about the interest that people may show for pilitics in a virtual universe. My view of 2nd Life is that people get in there in order to experience a different life than the real one and the lack of authority in 2nd Life is what makes things more interesting there. So people in 2nd Life may see the campaign and make comments about it but I don't that they will ever be interested in politics.

Kristina R. said...

@ Viktoriya and Katerina: You’re possibly right: I think politics isn’t something, Second Life users would expect in the virtual world. However, maybe this is the key for reaching this audience. Perhaps this audience is more open to topics, such as politics, in the virtual than in the real world.
I think we have to wait for the reactions concerning this “invasion” by politicians, but I am quite positive that people don’t mind this intruders, since they can anyhow ignore them if they want to.