Friday 2 March 2007

Too much of a good thing.

I tried to resist the numerous invitations I got every month from friends and colleagues who tried to invite me to various social networking sites on the internet. They finally succeeded in persuading me that it is a good thing to have an account here and there. And so, I started to become a social networker about one month ago.
I created accounts in six or seven different network sites and was fascinated how quickly I found new friends by joining special interest groups. I was fascinated by the networks and spent hours with discussing this and that.

However, it all got out of control. To contribute to every social network I joined I should spent approximately 4 hours a day on the internet to keep up to date with what has been said about the topics I am interested in. By the time, I was not able to see the wood for the trees.

My very personal experience with the vast amount of groups led me to the thought, how difficult it is for an organisation to choose the right place to practice social networking in order to strengthen the relationship with its customers. One could argue that a message has to appear in several newspapers and TV channels, etc. to reach most members of a target audience. Nevertheless, placing messages in the print media for example is not as time-consuming as placing messages in social network communities.

Messages have to be constantly updated and consumers attended to in order to keep them loyal. It requires a lot of time to keep social networking accounts up to date. That leads me to the question, if social networking is worth all the trouble.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, am constantly receiving invitations to a - I figure - local or national (which is quite the same where I live) social networking portal specializing on university students. The main reason why I don't accept any of them is my concern about privacy and responsible treatment of the highly sensitive data load resulting from tracing user interactions and analyzing the network itself. On the portal's website no information can be found as to how information I enter and produce is protected.* Though I'm not sure what and how much harm can be done by malicious individuals or enterprises misusing thus obtained data, I prefer to keep out of it for a while and observe the further development.

Furthermore I'm ignorant to the necessity of a virtual platform that helps me to "socialize" with people I already know (As far as my experience goes in the long run it always leads to this.) in order to interact in a virtual environment, if anything I have to do to achieve an even better interaction is phone them!

----------
* In fact there isn't even decent information about the services their network offeres, just an invitation to try and see for oneself followed by a link to the registration form, which is another reason for my abnegation - I do not want to use a product in order to know if I need it but use a product I know (or think) I need!

M.M said...

Hi Kristina,
For me I joined many social networks and I still keep up. I am very bored of these websites now. But to be honest I met many people through them and did a good business with many people especially in my previous job as a journalist. I believe in conversation through social media networks. It is a good way to know how people think and there way in life. Some people get there life chance by these websites. Who knows where is his/her chance.